Fall Wolf & Elk Discovery
$1,999 per person, single occupancy
Program Start Dates:
Sept. 4, 5, 11, 12, 18, 19, 25, 26
Mammoth Hot Springs
Breakfast and Lunch
Lodging & Learning
The Fall Wolf & Elk Discovery package focuses on learning about wolves, elk, and other exciting wildlife. Yellowstone’s famous northern range is a prime location to view wolves in Yellowstone, and Mammoth Hot Springs is the best place in the park to view the annual elk rut. This package is designed to take advantage of both rare opportunities. A Yellowstone Forever field educator will share up-to-date information about Yellowstone wildlife biology, behavior, and ecology throughout daily outings. Each evening, participants will return to their accommodations at the Yellowstone Overlook Field Campus.
The first evening includes an informative orientation with a Yellowstone Forever field educator. The following three full days involve getting up early and traveling to viewing points in hopes of observing wolves in the wild. Afternoons are spent exploring wildlife habitats and traveling on snowshoes to examine tracks and other animal signs. Participants will likely encounter many other wildlife species during daily outings, where field educators will discuss the role these other species play in the ecosystem.
Most sightings of wildlife occur at a distance; the field educator will provide high-powered spotting scopes and binoculars for group use. However, participants are encouraged to bring additional scopes and binoculars if they have them.
Program Start Dates:
- Sept. 4
- Sept. 5
- Sept. 11
- Sept. 12
- Sept. 18
- Sept. 19
- Sept. 25
- Sept. 26
*Make sure to choose the correct date for the program as well as lodging. They are separate items, so that you may choose to lodge elsewhere in Gardiner, MT if you so desire*
Why choose this program?
- Yellowstone Forever is Yellowstone National Park’s official nonprofit education and fundraising partner. Yellowstone Forever’s mission is to protect, preserve, and enhance Yellowstone National Park through education and philanthropy. To learn more about Yellowstone Forever, visit our website, yellowstone.org.
- Support Yellowstone National Park. Proceeds collected by Yellowstone Forever educational programs are used to preserve Yellowstone National Park and provide more opportunities for people to experience its magic.
- Yellowstone Forever Field Educators are world class. The Yellowstone Institute has been providing in-depth educational programs in Yellowstone for over 40 years. Yellowstone Forever field educators are among the best experts in Yellowstone. Educational staff are passionate professionals with significant training who are dedicating their careers to this vital work. They live in the Yellowstone ecosystem, they work and train alongside park researchers and educators, and thus can provide accurate and exciting behind the scenes perspectives on the park’s natural and cultural history. They know where to go and when, and they handle all the details to make the experience as enjoyable as possible.
- Small group size. Lodging & Learning programs have a max capacity of 13. The program capacity size allows participants to enjoy camaraderie with fellow participants and receive more attention in a small group setting. It allows the educator to take an inquiry-based approach to learning and tailoring the experience to the group’s specific interests.
- Essential equipment provided. Yellowstone Forever provides high-quality scoping equipment to bring distant wildlife into crisp, clear view. Educators are at a minimum Wilderness First Aid certified. They carry a first aid kit and handheld radio during all outings and provide bear spray to participants if hiking in bear country. Additionally, they incorporate teaching aids such as skulls, tracks, pelts, books, and test equipment such as temperature guns for thermal features.
Download Program Information:
We are continually updating and refining our COVID-19 mitigation measures to ensure the health and safety our guests, staff and volunteers. Read our COVID-19 guidelines for program participants.