Session 7: Winter Wolf Discovery
$1,685 for single occupancy
Start date: Jan. 26
Mammoth Hot Springs
Breakfast and Lunch
Lodging & Learning
Natural History, Wildlife
Winter is the best time to view wolves in Yellowstone, and this package is designed to take advantage of this rare opportunity! Our Winter Wolf Discovery package, in partnership with Yellowstone National Park Lodges, will focus on learning about the wild and fascinating wolves of Yellowstone and other exciting wildlife along Yellowstone’s famous northern range.
Your naturalist guide will share up-to-date information about Yellowstone wolf biology, behavior, and ecology throughout daily outings. Each evening, you will return to comfortable accommodations at the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel.
Winter Wolf Discovery is part of our award-winning Lodging & Learning packages developed through a partnership with Yellowstone National Park Lodges. These packages combine the best lodging locations with an exceptional immersive field education experience.
- This package includes breakfasts, lunches, lodging, transportation, and teaching by a Yellowstone Forever naturalist instructor
- Three full days of wildlife watching along Yellowstone’s northern range
- Snowshoeing in wildlife habitat in search of tracks and sign
- Exciting facilitated discussions about Yellowstone’s wild wolf populations to include behavior, biology, ecology, and management issues
- Superior quality scopes and binoculars for wildlife viewing
Why Choose a Lodging & Learning Package?
Our award-winning Lodging & Learning packages are developed through a partnership with Yellowstone National Park Lodges. These packages combine the best lodging locations with an exceptional immersive field education experience. Here’s why this package stands out:
- Yellowstone Forever is Yellowstone National Park’s official nonprofit education and fundraising partner. Our mission is to partner with Yellowstone National Park to create opportunities for all people to experience, enhance, and preserve Yellowstone forever.
- You’ll help preserve Yellowstone. Proceeds collected by Yellowstone Forever for this package are used to preserve Yellowstone National Park and provide more opportunities for people to experience its magic.
- Our naturalist instructors are world class. The Yellowstone Institute has been providing in-depth educational programs in Yellowstone for over 40 years. Our naturalist instructors are among the best expert field educators in Yellowstone. They’re professionals with academic credentials who are dedicating their careers to this vital work. They live in the Yellowstone ecosystem, they work alongside park researchers, and thus can provide accurate and exciting “behind the scenes” perspectives on the park’s history, management, geology, flora, and fauna. They know where to go and when, and they’ll handle all the details to make your experience is as enjoyable as possible.
- Small group size. This program has a max capacity of 9 participants (up to 12 same family). You’ll enjoy camaraderie with fellow participants and receive a lot more attention in this small group package. It allows your naturalist guide to take an inquiry-based approach to learning, tailoring the experience to your specific interests.
- We provide the essential equipment. Your instructor will provide high-quality digiscoping equipment to bring distant wildlife into crisp, clear view. We also provide snowshoes or safe travel over snow and ice on daily hikes. Our guides are Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder certified. They carry a first aid kit and handheld radio during all hikes, and provide bear spray if hiking in bear country. They will incorporate teaching aids such as skulls, tracks, pelts, books, i-Pads with videos, and test equipment such as temperature guns for thermal features.
- You can’t beat in-park lodging. All lodging in this package is located in the park, within short walking distance from popular features and spectacular scenery. This minimizes drive time during daily outings, and allows more time to enjoy the park’s features at a relaxing pace. It also allows more time in the evenings, after daily outings, to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.