Winter Wolf Discovery
$2,214 for single occupancy
Program Start Dates: Dec. 17, Dec. 21, Dec. 24, Dec. 31, Jan. 7, Jan. 14, Jan. 18, Jan. 21, Jan. 25, Jan. 28, Feb. 1, Feb. 4, Feb. 8, Feb. 11, Feb. 15, Feb. 22, March 1
Mammoth Hot Springs
Breakfast and Lunch
Lodging & Learning
The Winter Wolf Discovery Lodging & Learning package focuses learning about wolves, and other exciting wildlife, along Yellowstone’s famous northern range. Winter is prime time to view wolves in Yellowstone, and this package is designed to take advantage of this rare opportunity. A Yellowstone Forever field educator will share up-to-date information about Yellowstone wolf biology, behavior, and ecology throughout daily outings. Each evening, participants will return to their comfortable
accommodations at the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel.
The first evening includes an informative orientation with a Yellowstone Forever field educator. The following three full days involve getting up early and traveling to viewing points in hopes of observing wolves in the wild. Afternoons are spent exploring wildlife habitats and traveling on snowshoes to examine tracks and other animal sign. Participants will likely encounter many other wildlife species during daily outings, where field educators will discuss the role these other species play in the ecosystem in relation to wolves.
Most sightings of wildlife occur at a distance; the field educator will provide high-powered spotting scopes and binoculars for group use. However, participants are encouraged to bring additional scopes and binoculars if they have them.
Program Start Dates:
- Dec. 17
- Dec. 21
- Dec. 24
Dec. 28Sold Out
- Dec. 31
Jan. 4Sold Out
- Jan. 7
Jan. 11Sold Out
- Jan. 14
- Jan. 18
- Jan. 21
Jan. 25Sold Out
- Jan. 28
- Feb. 1
- Feb. 4
- Feb. 8
- Feb. 11
- Feb. 15
Feb. 18Sold Out
- Feb. 22
Feb. 25Sold Out
- March 1
Airport Shuttle from Bozeman-Yellowstone International Airport
Daily shuttles (winter season only) are now offered from the Bozeman Airport to/from Yellowstone. You can reserve your seat(s) when making your lodging reservations by phone.
Why Choose a Lodging & Learning Package?
Our award-winning Lodging & Learning packages are developed through a partnership with Yellowstone National Park Lodges. These packages combine the best lodging locations with an exceptional immersive field education experience. Here’s why this package stands out:
- Yellowstone Forever is Yellowstone National Park’s official nonprofit education and fundraising partner. Our mission is to partner with Yellowstone National Park to create opportunities for all people to experience, enhance, and preserve Yellowstone forever.
- You’ll help preserve Yellowstone. Proceeds collected by Yellowstone Forever for this package are used to preserve Yellowstone National Park and provide more opportunities for people to experience its magic.
- Our naturalist instructors are world class. The Yellowstone Institute has been providing in-depth educational programs in Yellowstone for over 40 years. Our naturalist instructors are among the best expert field educators in Yellowstone. They’re professionals with academic credentials who are dedicating their careers to this vital work. They live in the Yellowstone ecosystem, they work alongside park researchers, and thus can provide accurate and exciting “behind the scenes” perspectives on the park’s history, management, geology, flora, and fauna. They know where to go and when, and they’ll handle all the details to make your experience is as enjoyable as possible.
- Small group size. This program has a max capacity of 9 participants (up to 12 same family). You’ll enjoy camaraderie with fellow participants and receive a lot more attention in this small group package. It allows your naturalist guide to take an inquiry-based approach to learning, tailoring the experience to your specific interests.
- We provide the essential equipment. Your instructor will provide high-quality digiscoping equipment to bring distant wildlife into crisp, clear view. We also provide snowshoes or safe travel over snow and ice on daily hikes. Our guides are Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder certified. They carry a first aid kit and handheld radio during all hikes, and provide bear spray if hiking in bear country. They will incorporate teaching aids such as skulls, tracks, pelts, books, i-Pads with videos, and test equipment such as temperature guns for thermal features.
- You can’t beat in-park lodging. All lodging in this package is located in the park, within short walking distance from popular features and spectacular scenery. This minimizes drive time during daily outings, and allows more time to enjoy the park’s features at a relaxing pace. It also allows more time in the evenings, after daily outings, to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
Download Program Information:
We are continually updating and refining our COVID-19 mitigation measures to ensure the health and safety our guests, staff and volunteers. Read our COVID-19 guidelines for program participants.